Public Relations Office March 21, 2013
Kwansei Gakuin was founded in 1889 in Kobe, by an American missionary W. R. Lambuth, with the aim of training missionaries and educating young people based on the principals of Christianity.
Kwansei Gakuin was founded in 1889 in Kobe, Japan by Dr. Walter Russell Lambuth (later Bishop), a missionary of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, USA. It was intended to be a small private institution with 2 departments, a theological school and a middle school. In 1910 the Canadian Methodist Church and the Japanese Methodist Church joined in the operation, and Kwansei Gakuin could open a strong college with literary and commercial courses in 1912.
In 1929 a growing Kwansei Gakuin moved to the rural farmland which is the site of the present campus in Nishinomiya-Uegahara. 3 years later, it acquired the status of a full degree-granting university and continued as one of 54 such institutions in Japan until the end of World War II. In 1948, the university embraced the new 6-3-3-4 school system (6 years in elementary school, 3 in junior high, 3 in senior high, and 4 in college), based upon the American educational framework.
Throughout its history, Kwansei Gakuin has had a strong international emphasis. A variety of programs aim to develop internationally-minded people who understand other cultures and countries of the world, being motivated to help others in the spirit of the school’s motto,“Mastery for Service.”
Kwansei Gakuin University is now an independent co-educational institution offering Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees in almost 40 different disciplines to around 20,000 students. There are 11 undergraduate and 13 graduate schools as well as an attached Kindergarten, Elementary School, Junior and Senior High School , Seiwa College and Seiwa Junior College. The university consistently achieves the highest academic standards among Japanese private universities and colleges.