Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
About University Dormitories

Frequently asked questions about the university dormitories have been collected below. When you have a question, please check this information before making an inquiry. Note that the answers to these questions have mainly been written with students who would like to move into the men's dormitories (Kenmeiryo, Seishuryo, and Seizenryo) or Seifuryo (the women's dormitory) in mind.

General dormitory life questions

Q: Is there a curfew?

The men's dormitories do not have a curfew. Seifuryo (the women's dormitory) has a curfew of 11:50 PM.

Q: Am I allowed to stay outside the dorm?

You can stay outside the dorm if you submit an application in advance.

Q: I want to study abroad while living in a dorm. Is it possible?

If you will be doing a study abroad program that does not require a leave of absence from school (study abroad programs using university systems, or privately financed study abroad while the university is not in session), you may do a short-term or even long-term exchange (up to one year) while remaining a resident.
However, we will still request that you pay dormitory fees, association membership fees and other fees during your time abroad. Also, your fellow residents will cover your share of dorm responsibilities while you are abroad, so study hard, and once you have returned to Japan, give back to the dormitory by sharing what you learned with them.

Q: Am I allowed to hold a part-time job?

You can do part-time jobs. Depending on your dormitory, you may be able to get a referral from a senior student.
However, men's dormitories, in particular, do not have curfews, so you can work late hours which are comparatively better-paid than daytime work. However, dorm residents at our school need to be independent and live daily life with a regular system in place
Please work to avoid disruptions to your routine due to your part-time job, so that it does not negatively affect your grades or dorm responsibilities.
Kwansei Gakuin University posts information about safe and secure part-time jobs which follow established regulations.

a part-time job(Japanese link)関連ページへのリンク

Q: What roles do residents have at a dorm?

What each resident does will vary by dorm, but students in higher grade years will become the dormitory's executives, each of whom is given a position and is directly involved in the operation of the dormitory as an autonomous dormitory. Regular roles include handling day duty, taking out the trash, planning and preparing for events, and other such tasks.

Q: How should I pay dormitory fees and other fees?

Each month, dormitory fees and utilities will be collected via bank transfer. (New students are required to set up the bank transfer after entering the dormitory.) Please pay the dormitory fees according to the rules of each dormitory.

Q: I have a mental image of dormitory life as being strict.

Living in a dorm means that you are part of a community. There are rules that you need to follow so as to not cause problems for other people or make them feel uncomfortable. In addition, a dorm is not just a place to live. It is also a facility intended to train you to become an independent person. There are punishments for breaking the rules, and if you behave in a way that is inappropriate for a resident, you may be sternly lectured by senior students and the Dormitory Manager.
For that reason, people may think of dorm life as an environment where it is hard to live totally freely and do whatever you like, compared to living alone in an apartment. However, that is not an everyday occurrence. Normally, senior and junior students get along with each other, and enjoy dormitory life together without any worries.

Q: Are there a lot of dormitory residents from provincial areas?

Dorm residents come from various places, from Hokkaido in the north to Okinawa in the south. You may be surprised by the differences in dialects and lifestyles when you first enter the dormitory, but we believe that this diversity is one of the best parts of university dormitories. Of course, there are also students from the Kansai region.

Q: Are there senior students from my School?

All dormitories have students from all Schools, and once you enter a dormitory, you are sure to find a senior student from the same Schools. They will be kind and support you in your academic work.

Q: How long does it take to get from the dormitory to the university campus?

From the men's dormitories (Keimeiryo, Seishuryo, Seizenryo)
 Ten minutes to the Nishinomiya Uegahara Campus on foot
 Ten minutes to the Nishinomiya Seiwa Campus on foot
 90 minutes to the Kobe Sanda Campus via public transportation, or 60 minutes via shuttle bus

From the women's dormitories (Seifuryo, Seiwaryo)
 Ten minutes to the Nishinomiya Uegahara Campus on foot
 Five minutes to the Nishinomiya Seiwa Campus on foot
 90 minutes to the Kobe Sanda Campus via public transportation, or 70 minutes via shuttle bus

Q: Am I allowed to move out of the dormitory partway through my term?

In principle, students are required to stay in the dormitory for four years, but if they wish to leave the dormitory due to unavoidable circumstances, they are required to follow the dormitory rules and procedures. In principle, students are not allowed to re-enter a dormitory after leaving.

Questions about applying or moving in

Q:What is the ratio of applicants who are approved to move into the dorms?

For AY 2021, the number of total applicants and those who were approved is as follows.

Dormitory name Applicants*including those who applied to more than one dormitory Applicants who passed the first screening Applicants who were approved Ratio
Men's Keimeiryo 34 19 17 2
Seishuryo 20 11 11 1.8
Seizenryo 36 13 13 2.8
Women's Seifuryo 29 15 1.9
Q: I have an allergy or an illness. Am I allowed to move into a dorm?

Students who are approved must undergo a medical examination before entering the dorm and report the results of the examination, in addition to reporting any concerns about their physical condition, such as chronic illnesses or allergies. You are expected to take care of your own physical condition in your daily life, but since the dormitory is an environment where dorm residents inevitably help each other, please make sure that the Dormitory Manager and other residents understand your current situation to a reasonable extent.
There are medical institutions close to the university dorms, and you can also undergo a medical examination at the Health Care Center.

Q: When is move-in day?

Each dorm has a fixed move-in day. The dorm will inform approved students.
Typically, move-in day for each dorm is during the final week of March.

Q: I wasn't able to get into the dorms. Can I look for a place to live after that?

Even after the screening for admission to the dorms, it is still possible to find a room in a boarding house or apartment. The Organization for Student Support and the University Co-op can help you find housing.

Single-person housing (Japanese link)

University Co-Op housing search (Japanese link)

Q: Are there specific things to bring on move-in day?

After the announcement of those who have been accepted, each dorm will provide detailed information, but they will mention a futon, toiletries, bath set, slippers, and so on. There are stores near the dormitories where you can purchase daily necessities, so you can prepare for small things after you enter the dormitory.
Each of the men's dormitories have shared appliances - refrigerators and microwaves - so we recommend that you decide if you need your own after moving in. If individual residents set up many electrical appliances, this may trip a breaker in the dorm.
Seifuryo (the women's dormitory) has a format with five residents per unit, and units are stocked with standard appliances such as a refrigerator, IH cooking cooking heater, microwave, and vacuum cleaner. In addition, for laundry, there are coin-operated laundry machines.

Q: I'm not an exchange student. Can I use the futon rental service?

Unfortunately, non-exchange students are unable to use the futon rental service.