2018 Spring Intake Contemporary Japan Program (CJP) Application Website

Center for International Education and Cooperation        October 19, 2017

1. Eligibility

In order to attend Kwansei Gakuin University (KGU) as an exchange student, you must be enrolled at one of KGU's partner universities. See page 38 of the 2017-2018 of the Contemporary Japan Program (CJP) Brochure (found below) for a list of partner universities and consortiums as of January 2017.

In addition to the list in the brochure, the following institutions are our partner universities: Trinity University (U.S.A) Universidad EAFIT (Colombia), Burgundy School of Business (France), Ca' Foscari University of Venice (Italy), Catholic University of Korea (South Korea), National Chiao Tung University (Taiwan), University of Parma (Italy), Tamkang University (Taiwan), University of Wollongong (Australia).

All required original application documents must be sent to KGU through your home university's international office.

Application Deadlines

The following deadlines apply to both full year and semester study abroad applications.
   Spring Semester 2018: November 15, 2017

Official acceptance at KGU will be confirmed via emails as follows:
For Spring applicants: around the end of January

2017-2018 Contemporary Japan Program Brochure

Before beginning the application process, please ensure that both you and your coordinator thoroughly and carefully read the 2017-2018 CJP brochure. Important information regarding Japanese language requirements, program schedules, track selection, course outlines etc., is included in this brochure.

2. 2017-2018 Contemporary Japan Program Application Procedures

Step 1

To be Completed by the Student

1. Be nominated by your Study Abroad Advisor
2. Gather all of the necessary application forms.
3. Save a copy of all filled out documents to your hard drive.
4. Upload the required documents listed on the following link (Note: not all documents need to be uploaded digitally)
5. Print out a hard copy of all applicable documents on A4 paper and submit them to your exchange coordinator who will send them to KGU.

Step 2

To be completed by the Exchange Coordinator/Advisor of the Applying Student's Home University

1. Nominate students using the KGU online exchange student nomination form (a new link will be sent to exchange partners every semester when applications open). Students will only be able to start the application process after they have been nominated.
2. Gather all the application documents from the nominated students.
3. Look through all of the students documents. Check each document and see to it that they have turned in and properly completed all required documents according to the rules and specifications on this website.
4. Complete the Scholarship Application Form if you will be nominating your students for a scholarship through KGU and make sure the students have turned in the necessary documents.
5. Write a nomination letter for all the students (this can be in the form of a single cover letter). Feel free to use the sample letter below.
6. Send all required documents when they are complete and the nomination letter together to the Center for International Education and Cooperation at: 

Incoming Exchange Coordinator
Center for International Education and Cooperation
Kwansei Gakuin University
1-155 Uegahara Ichibancho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501, Japan
Tel: +81-798-51-0952

If your student is having trouble gathering all the documents before the deadline, please contact the KGU Incoming Team (incoming@kwansei.ac.jp).

The Nomination Letter should include:
(1) Student’s name
(2) Student’s date of birth
(3) Period of stay at KGU (one or two semesters)
(4) Starting semester / year at KGU (Fall or Spring / year)
(5) Level of study at the time the student starts studying at KGU.
(6) Expected graduation month and year.
   *Please use university letter head.

3. Required Contemporary Japan Program Documents

A complete application contains up to 15 documents. Please be read through all of the directions carefully before starting working on the application documents.
Remember that all documents are to be printed on A4 sized paper.
NOTE: Hand written forms (except the “Letter to Host Family or Accommodation Coordinator” and the “Health Certificate”) are in principle NOT be accepted. Please download all the files and type all necessary documents.
Please use the checklist below to monitor the current progress of your application and turn it in together to your coordinator to be sent to KGU.

1. CJP Application Form

(1a) CJP Application Form
To be completed online.
Once completed, you will receive an email with your application form attached to it. Please print the document and don't forget to attach an ID Photograph on the top right side.

2. Accommodation Application Form

To be completed online.
Mandatory for all students even when opting out of the KGU-arranged accommodation.

3. Letter to Host Family or Accommodation Coordinator

Please write the letter in Japanese or English by hand. 
Introduce yourself to your host. What kind of person are you? How would your best friend describe you? What do you look forward to? Send a special to your host to help them to get to know you.
All students must submit this document. If you are opting out of KGU-arranged accommodation, please write a letter addressed to the CIEC office. 

4. Reasons for Study

The Reasons for Study essay should answer the following two questions and should be written in the Japanese or English, whichever you are more comfortable with.
Why did you choose to apply for a study abroad program at KGU? (300 words)
What do you plan on doing after your study abroad program and what kind of impact will your time at KGU have on this plan? (300 words)

5. Certificate of Health

5a. Certificate of Health
Print out the "(5a) Certificate of Health" form and have it filled out by a doctor/physician within 3 months prior to the date of application.
Ensure that in addition to the medical data, the doctor also answers the final question, "In the view of this individual's history and the above findings, is it your observation that his or her health status is adequate for life in Japan". If they do not answer this question, we cannot accept your certificate.
5b. Declaration of Medical Condition/Disability that Requires Special Support
If you require special support due to a medical condition or disability, fill and turn in the “(5b) Declaration of Medical Condition/Disability that Requires Special Support". 

In the case that you will need to fill any medical prescriptions or receive medicine while in Japan, you will need to take a medical examination after arriving in the country.
If said prescription/medicine is for a pre-existing condition, please bring a letter of reference from your principal physician in your home country. 

6. Recommendation Letter

Must be completed by an instructor.
Students who choose the Japanese Language Track and have studied Japanese before should have their Japanese Language Instructor submit this Recommendation Letter. If you do not have a Japanese instructor, but need a teacher to evaluate your Japanese level, please find a teacher from a legitimate institution and ask them to interview you to fill it out.
Students who choose the Modern Japan Track or if you choose the Japanese Language Track but have never studied Japanese before should have a Course Instructor or an Academic Advisor submit this Recommendation Letter.
Please provide the link below the person who will fill out the form along with your application number.

7. Official Grade Transcript from Home University

An official and original grade transcripts from your current home university. Photocopies will not be accepted. 
Must have been issued within 3 months prior to the date of application.

8. Photocopy of Passport

- Only the full ID pages of the passport are required. 
- The scan must not be blurry. 
- Any submissions turned in that are not scanned will be rejected.
- Scans must be fully captured. Cut off scans will be rejected. 
- Passports must be valid beyond the date of your return after the exchange program finishes.
If the passport is currently invalid, turn in a scan of the expired passport and apply for a new passport immediately.

9. Two (2) ID Photographs (3cm x 4 cm)

ID Photograph Example

ID Photograph Example

ID photographs must adhere to the following specifications (refer to the example below):
- 3x4cm (1.18x1.57 inches)
- The photographs must be identical
- Full-face photographs with a plain background
- Entire face and all of hair must be within the frame
- All of neck must be included in the picture
- Taken within 3 months prior to the date of application
- Taken at a pharmacy, or by a professional photographer
- Name must be written in English on the back of each photo

10. Statement of Finance

All of the following documents must be signed/stamped by the issuer. Please scan each document that applies to you before you submit the originals to your exchange coordinator (no photocopies allowed).

Please provide at least one of the following documents:

a. Self-supporting student
Confirmation of Account Balance in the name of the applicant covering estimated expenses at KGU (equivalent of 1,000,000 JPY/year or 500,000 JPY/semester) issued by a bank officer within 3 months prior to the date of application. Please contact your bank to have this issued. Sample letter below.

b. Guarantor-funded student
Absolutely make sure to submit both documents 1 and 2
  1. Confirmation of Account Balance in the name of the guarantor covering estimated expenses at KGU (equivalent of 1,000,000 JPY/year or 500,000 JPY/semester) issued by a bank officer within 3 months prior to the date of application. Please have your guarantor contact his/her bank to get this. Sample letter below
  2. Guarantor Support Letter signed by the guarantor(s) within 3 months prior to the date of application indicating definite intention to financially support the applicant. The person who signs the letter must be the same person as the bank statement provided. Sample letter below 

c. Scholarship or loan-funded student
Certificate of scholarship or stipend. A letter from the home university's Financial Aid Office indicating the amount of financial aid for the period of exchange would also be acceptable.

11. KGU Immigration Application Form

To be completed online.
Fill out the KGU Immigration Application Form via the link below.
Information you provide in this online form will be used to submit an application for your Certification Of Eligibility to the Japan Immigration Bureau. You will then receive the document to apply for a student visa. Please be as accurate as possible when filling out this form.

If you need to make an edit or change after submission, please contact the KGU Incoming Team (incoming@kwansei.ac.jp).

12. Japanese Language Proficiency Test Certificate

In order to take regular university courses, an extremely high level of Japanese ability is required. Students who can submit proof of having passed JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) N1 before arriving in Japan, or who pass the Regular Course Aptitude Test (JLPT N1 equivalent level) at KGU after arriving in Japan, will be able to enroll in regular university courses held in Japanese.

13. Scholarship Application Form (if applicable)

Students should read the "Scholarship Application Guide" carefully before asking their exchange coordinator to fill this form. Details about eligibility and Scholarship GPA Formula are included in the guide. 

(13a) Scholarship Application Form
This form must be filled by your exchange coordinator or authorized person at your university.

(13b) Scholarship Application Essay
This essay should be 1 A4 page typed and must be written by the student. It can be written in Japanese or in English. Explain the reasons for your study abroad and why you are applying for the scholarship.
This letter is different from "(4) Reasons for Study" above and is only required from students applying for a scholarship.

NOTE: Students applying through the University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC), the Association of Christian Universities and Colleges in Asia (ACUCA), or Japan-Canada Academic Consortium (JACAC) are not eligible to apply for these scholarships.