Japan’s Housing Conditions

Public Relations Office        March 26, 2013

In Japan, there are various types of housing available for international students, including condominiums, apartments, Gakusei Kaikan (students’ union buildings) and boarding houses. According to the type of housing, the room rent and living conditions (e.g., whether facilities are common-use or private-use) can differ greatly.
In choosing a room to rent, you should give due consideration to your personality, economic circumstances and lifestyle.
The method and time to commute to school are among the key factors in determining where to live. If you use various means of public transportation, it is important to consider the time needed for transfers, and whether or not express or rapid trains stop at the nearest station. Also be sure to confirm what kind of facilities are located nearby.

(1) Condominiums

Condominiums are superior in terms of facilities, security, sound and heat insulation and other functions. However, the rent tends to be more expensive than for other types of housing. Condominiums are recommended for those who want more privacy and place importance on housing amenities.

(2) Apartments

Apartments, whose rent is relatively inexpensive, are recommended for those who place priority on economy.

(3) Gakusei Kaikan (students’ union buildings)

Gakusei Kaikan is collective housing for students only. In many cases, a dormitory manager is permanently stationed there so that residents can seek advice on various matters.

(4) Boarding houses/Lodgings

In this type of accommodation, you rent a room of a house and live with the owner. The bathroom, restroom and other facilities are not private-use, but shared with other residents. However, the rent is much lower than for apartments and condominiums.